30 March 2010

A Better Day

We've had quite a few busy days. Friday afternoon through Sunday evening we got to know the previously mentioned John Lewis inside and out. I think we've at least ordered everything we'll need in order to be able to actually move in to the flat: beds, coffee pot, blow dryer, and TV. We've been able to meet up with Chris's Rutger's classmate Andrew which has been great, as he leaves for his new job assignment in Australia next month.

Found out yesterday that our UK bank account is still being processed; until we get that info we can't get mobile phones, land line, internet or TV! Kyle & I were able to at least get temporary pay-as-you-go cell phones - they cost 3.95 pounds each and yes, you do get what you pay for. At least he and I can call each other, as if we aren't spending enough time together as it is! So once we move in to the flat, we'll have a period of time that we're once again cut off from the rest of the world. But we'll take the opportunity to explore Hampstead and it will be nice to get out of the hotel.

I go back to the flat tomorrow to see what's been done and have my fingers crossed. Thursday I need to be there at 7 am (!) as that is the early end of the window that our first JL furniture will be delivered. (Just occurred to me: 7 am... wonder if it's a British April Fool's joke? I mean really. 7 am??). Our shipment from the US is due to arrive Thursday also and with my luck it will all come at once, which will undoubtably put me on the outs with the porter. Who knows, tho. With luck, perhaps we'll be moved in on Friday. We have to see how everything goes.

In the meantime, I've purchased my first box of plasters - no, not an English form of birth control but rather something to cushion the blisters that have developed on my poor feet. (Band-aids!). And finally today, Kyle and I did something enjoyable and walked to the British Museum, one of the city's free offerings that is a both massive and brilliant (UK adj, UK adj) collection of amazing things, from statues from the Parthenon to Cleopatra's mummy. (A Cleopatra, not the Cleopatra. Cool mummy tho'.) So that's why today was a better day. The next few will I'm sure be a blur, but once we're through them, only better days to come!

6 comments:

  1. I tried to post a very witty comment to your blog but I couldn't make it work. Damnitall! I'm gonna keep trying till I figure this out!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I figured it out!!! I'll try to remember what I said before.

    I can't believe Chris went straight to work when you arrived in London. Holy crap (American adj)! I do believe that is exactly what Farid would do under similar circumstances! I, on the other hand, would have done exactly what you and Kyle did. Hummmmm.... maybe that's why Chris and Farid are where they are, and you and I are... well you know what I mean! I think it was brilliant of you to buy beds first! I hope they are very comfy and moving day goes swimmingly! Speaking of which, I'm cautiously opimistic about the whole swimming and working out daily thing. ;D

    I will follow your blog faithfully. I think I may have been your first follower, even beating out your sisters tee hee.

    Love ya,

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Caroline! You and Sue are different in one very important way. Sue understands the importance wearing comfortable shoes when walking the streets of London -- or NYC. You, on the other hand...... :)

    I kid because I love!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to wish you good morning. :) And now I shall go to bed. Had a late night -- Kevin and Annika spent part of spring break down in Florida (spring training, of course), and I had to fetch them at Dulles tonight. Then dinner. Then getting Annika unpacked. Then going through all her souvenirs -- and the explanations. Then...finally...bed.
    Night, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Allison that is true. I believe my love of shoes is genetic. My mother used to say in her old age "I was very sad when the day came where I could no longer wear sexy shoes". Because of the fall from the ladder that day came for me much too soon! :-(. I proudly admitt to loving my fashionable shoes at the expense of my feet.

    Still did you notice Sue had to buy "plasters" on day three? Maybe she has come over to the dark side?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So OK, Caroline and Allison are official Blog FOllowers........ It's just because MOST of Sue's SIssy's are OLDER than she and that much far behind the E ball!
    This is fun, and Caroline and Allison, I hear so much about you, It will be good to get to know you through the blog! That is of course if I get my electronic abilities up to snuff!
    SO am I at least the first BLOOD SISTER to follow by posting this run on comment??

    ReplyDelete